Thursday, July 22, 2010

Impossible

I got the curriculum for the "No Impact" people the other day.

Actually, I might have gotten it awhile ago, but I used an alternative email to sign up, and then forgot to check it for awhile. But anyway...

I'm scared.

It's not the trash thing that scares me. I'm a little nervous about the food thing, because eating only local food... that leaves tomatoes and yogurt? Seriously, that's going to be tough.

But the part that really freaks me out is the transportation. "Most car trips are under 2 miles away!" the instructions declare. But I have to tell you, where I am, nothing is under 2 miles away. Nothing. Nothing is under 4 miles away. Can you imagine me trying to get the kids to walk 4 miles to school? We'd never get back. I can't even get my kids to walk around at the mall.

So it's a leap of faith. I need to really take stock of where we go, and what we need to get there. And if walking with the kids isn't an option right now, maybe it can be in the future, when they are a little older. I don't need to do everything right all at once. I can get a bike and just do a few trips once the kids start school.

No comments:

Post a Comment