Friday, July 9, 2010

Food Trash - challenge

This morning I accidentally placed an entire bowl of dry cereal in the sink.

I don't usually do this, as we have no disposal in the sink. I usually throw food out in the trash first. But the incident made me take a look at just how much food we were throwing away.

For everything thrown away, there is a bigger footprint. Each plastic bag that held a loaf of bread left behind waste from being made, packaged, and transported to the bread factory. So when you end up throwing away the actual bread... it's waste for waste's sake.

So my new challenge, for myself, is to throw away less food. Yes, we have a compost, but it would be better if the food were put to it's rightful purpose. So from now on... smaller servings. If I'm wondering if I should make one or two packages of chicken, I'll make one. One or two cups of rice? One. Better we eat it all and then fill up on crackers than keep throwing away good food.

Not only will this help the planet, but it should also have a good and healthy effect on both our waistlines and out pocketbooks. Go Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment