Sunday, April 11, 2010

Moo.

Being Green is very in. You don't even have to look carefully to see how companies are trying to get "green" associated with their image, if not with their actions. Cleaners are natural, packaging is compostable, energy is being spent more wisely. Hotels, airlines, even Disney, all making noise about helping the planet.

And I think that's good.

I read an article once about how we all think we are free thinkers. We all think we are making the decision to get in shape, learn French, help the planet, all on our own. But really we're more inclined to do what everyone else is doing. So if you know people that are in shape, you are more likely to be in shape. If your friends smoke, you are more likely to smoke. Likewise, if you know people who recycle, you are more likely to recycle.

Being green, helping the planet, is fashionable these days. In certain sets, at least. And I have no illusions about me coming up with these ideas and this urge to be green all on my own. But I really do think it's the right thing to do. And if the pressure to please gets large companies to do a little bit more, then so be it. I'll appreciate their efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment