Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Everyday Choices

When I was a kid, I remember watching a television ad for plastics.

I had heard people talking about how plastic was no good. How it was "around forever" even when it was broken and not being used anymore. But this ad mentioned helmets and medical devices... things that helped people.

These days there is a lot of talk about oil. We drill all over the place, we spill it all over the ocean. We want to blame someone, to point the finger, but the truth is oil is messy and dangerous and we use it for almost everything. We use it for gas. We use it for plastics in everything from toys to balloons to clothing. We use it for cosmetics.

I use these things, too. But I also believe that 1) we use too much and 2) we should find alternatives. If we don't, we're going to drown ourselves in it, and take a good deal of life down with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment