Wednesday, May 26, 2010

ABC's 123's and the 3 R's.

Last week I was surfing the web looking for "Summer Homework" ideas for my kids, and I just happened to notice that Scholastic has a "Green Living" section for parents on their website.

Green is in. It's very in. Everybody's doing it. But like all fads, it's subject to change. I'm afraid that at some point someone or some corporation will dangle something shiny on the other side, and we'll turn our heads, forgetting how we wanted Green only moments before.

I would like to instill in my children a need to care for this Earth and all living creatures on it. But I know that, even though they may see me use reusable grocery bags, they also see many who do not. While they may see me use green cleaning products, they also hear people say I'm a fool for doing so. While I might speak about buying less and making do with less stuff, they see the stuff they do not have. After all, do all adults live the way their parents would have liked them to? Not hardly.

Seeing this section on the scholastic website fed me a little bit of hope that maybe I can create a lasting impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment