Saturday, September 12, 2009

Paper Trail

I used to save all my receipts, and when my bank statement came I would check every single purchase, and every single check. And I would enter them in a spreadsheet, and make sure than the balance from the bank was the same as the balance from my spreadsheet. I think I did this because I was terrified of the bank cheating me or of buying something and forgetting about it, like a car.

But these days bank statements are a lot more descriptive. Bills can be scheduled, can be paid ahead of time. And when I check my online statement I can often see charges for things I bought that very same day.

So these days, when given the choice of a receipt, I usually say no. What's more, I've requested that my bank stop sending me paper statements. What for? I can check the statements online, and they are usually more up to date.

One thing I haven't done yet but which I am making my next step, is getting my bills emailed to me. This might not work for everyone. And it defeats the purpose if you need to print them out each time you pay them. But you shouldn't have to.

Baby Steps, right?

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, now you're making me think I should give up the paper bills. I think I'll think about it a littel while longer -- I'm older than you.

    ReplyDelete