Thursday, September 3, 2009

No Impact

I happened to run across the No Impact site today.

Maybe you've heard of Colin Beavan. He's the one that lived a whole year with no electricity, traveled only on foot or bike, and all without buying anything but locally grown food. This is his site. And he is encouraging people to join in and try this experiment for 7 days. To give up everything and try this new lifestyle.

I have to say, I think what this guy is doing is admirable. But I find it more than a little intimidating. There are so many changes, so many things to think about. And it's so overwhelming - the food, the cleaning, the energy, the trash, the gas, the pets... It's easier to just give up.

This is why I'm taking it a bit at a time. One item at a time. One step at a time. And sooner or later each little step becomes second nature and then I can move on to the next step.

Yes, I know. On one side each change I'm making is so small it's not making a difference so why bother. On the other hand it's not fast enough and polar bears are drowning while I decide that I'm too busy this week to not bleach my whites or dry my clothes on my porch. But hey - I'm making an effort. I'm getting there.

The No Impact site also has a place where people offer suggestions for small changes. Check it out. See if there's anything that you can do this week. There are a few I think are doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment