Thursday, August 26, 2010

Baking Soda, not Comet

I don't buy cleaners the way I used to. Which means that I don't clean the way I used to. This has become a Big Deal because I recently stopped the maid service, and now the only one cleaning the house is me.

I've been using more natural products, or those that contain fewer chemicals. I use a lot of Seventh Generation products, but I also use a lot of white vinegar, and a lot of baking soda.

Yesterday I realized that the kitchen sink needed scrubbing. We have this big, white sink, and it was stained with food and coffee and gray streaks left by pots and pans. In the past, I would generously sprinkle it with Comet and scrub.

You know Comet, right? It makes your feet turn green, it smells like gasoline? Ah, the sings of childhood stay with me forever. But seriously, Comet smells toxic. And it is, really. It's poison. If you eat it, you die.

Well, I sprinkled baking soda in the sink and scrubbed, and the stains washed away just as easily as with the green stuff. This is something I cook with, so it can't be as awful as the poison powder. And I can buy it by the huge boxfull.

By the way, vinegar works in the toilet, as long as you have a toilet brush. Sure, the disposable ones look more hygienic, and the commercials make them look so easy and convenient, but think of all the waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment