Sunday, March 14, 2010

Making The Call

I have never been a politically minded person.

I believe things. I have strong views on certain things. And I try to vote accordingly. I sometimes give to charities that I feel uphold my beliefs. And yet I have never called a representative. I have never picked up the phone or protested a bill or even stood in support of one.

I think this is relevant. Because over the past few weeks, I've been asked to pick up my phone and call my representative to let him / her know where I stand on issues such as greener energy. And I have not. Which is hypocritical. Especially since I think that the actions of individuals can only take us so far. There are too many of us that opt for the easy way out. Too many of us cheat on our diets. Too many of us that use plastic bottles that we know will clutter our oceans, too many of us that go for convenience over the greater good. It's human nature. Without guidelines, this is what we do.

Especially when there are businesses out there willing to cut our throats to make a buck.

But I still haven't called. Nor do I have any immediate plans to.

I think I'm afraid to get involved. I fear being labeled a radical, or having my name added to some list of citizens to be audited and barred from travel. Or simply afraid that, if I call, I'll get ninety seven phone calls from people asking me to donate to the Firefighters of New England.

I think what I'm trying to do is to come to a place where I DO get involved and stand up for what it is I believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment