Saturday, February 6, 2010

Discouraged

There is nothing more frustrating, when you are on a diet or trying to loose weight, to work at it and work at it, to jump on the treadmill and eat nothing but grapefruit for days, only to hop on he scale and find out that you are gained three pounds.

OK, to technically, this shouldn't happen. If you actually move around more and eat less, then you should loose weight. It's the chocolate bars you let yourself wolf down at night after deriving yourself all day that make the scale needle swing the wrong way.

I feel like my footprint is getting bigger. I mean, I feel like this "green diet" or this attempt to change my lifestyle is not doing a thing. I use more expensive products, my house is colder and darker, and I run around plugging and unplugging appliances, but my oil and electric bills are the same. I might try to keep my errands grouped together, but at least once a week I'll find myself driving to a store five miles away for a container of ricotta cheese. And my attempt to eat less meat by instituting a vegetarian meal night has resulted in 1 vegetarian meal getting thrown out after a night of having faces made at it, and an increase of meat consumption on other nights.

So, what is a girl to do? How do I make my next steps when I am dragging four unwilling participants behind me?

I am also angry at people who scorn my efforts - and although no one has done so to my face, there are plenty of people who let it be known that they think climate change is a bunk, or that it has nothing to do with us or anything we're doing. I'm trying hard, so these comments make me feel stupid and discouraged.

I think I just need to regroup, reevaluate what I'm doing, what I'm trying to do, and make sure any new steps I'm taking are in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. Don't let those people discourage you. You are living your conscience, which is an inherently more authentic thing to do than just do the expedient, pleasurable thing. You are challenging your preconceptions and, even if you turn out to be wrong (and I don't think you will), just making the effort shows what a whole and mature person you are and says much for your critical thinking skills.

    It is the people who never challenge their status quo, who stop learning, that will never grow.

    ReplyDelete