Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Recycle

I remember when my childhood city started recycling. Suddenly we had to separate cans from the rest of the trash. And... that was it. Oh! Newspapers! We were supposed to separate newspapers. And I think other paper. I remember my mother used to tear the plastic windows out of envelopes, and I rolled my eyes, wondering why she was bothering.

I recycle everything I can. Our town here has mixed stream recycling. We pay for trash pickup, and they gave us a bin about five feet high. Our whole family could fit in it. And everything goes in there. Cans, bottles, plastic food containers, magazines, newspapers, envelopes, paperboard, cereal boxes, cracker boxes, pizza boxes... They pick it up every two weeks, and it is always full.

I don't know what to do when people don't recycle. I find it hard to put a can in with the rest of the trash. Some people just don't bother. It either isn't offered, or they simply don't trouble themselves. I supposed they simply aren't concerned. Others don't think it makes a difference. I think my brother is under the impression that the pollution created by the recycling process is more harmful than the actual trash.

As far as I know, recycling is a good thing. Right now, it's easy to do, and I suppose as long as our town dumps asks us to do it, I'll go along with it. Thoughts, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I recycle at home, and at school (a developing thing on a much larger scale). I wanted to see the number of trash bags I set out shrink, and the number of recycling bins grow. It did. It grew to the point that we had to go get more bins from the town (we only have little bins - we can't fit in there). Sometimes I worry that all of our efforts go to waste - do they really recycle it?
    Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete