Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hurdles

I never aspired to be "Green." Whenever anyone talked to me about eating healthier, or about being more responsible to the planet, I would roll my eyes. I expect some readers may do the same. I used to grit my teeth at the thought of organic peanut butter or recycled paper towels (maybe I still do). Why is this?

I think it might be because we feel bad. I know that Paper towels are bad. I know organic peanut butter is supposed to be better. But I don't do those things. So the person who DOES do those things must be feeling like she is better than me, right? Just as the person who refuses to eat sugar and works out seven days a week feels he is better than me because he is healthier. Or maybe I feel that these people are better, that I should be doing the same, and I resent them for having the time, the money, the drive, the will power.

I don't want to be preachy. I don't want to tell people what to do. I admit, I balk when people tell me to throw my plastic bottles in the trash. And just the other day my Mother-in-Law mentioned that our home had "organic everything" by which I think she meant I had Green Works cleaning spray and dishwashing liquid. Truly, there's not much else organic here, except for the broccoli.

My point is, this is more than just things I have to do. It is an attitude change, a lifestyle change. It's doing a little but more legwork, a little more research, paying a little bit more, giving up a few things...

But it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment