Thursday, August 20, 2009

Explanation

It started, as many things start, when I had my first child.

With a child, with a new baby, you make many decisions. You choose a crib. You choose a carseat. And you choose... diapers.

I chose disposable diapers. Because, let's face it, I have no idea how to put on a cloth diaper. And although there are many "diaper systems" out there today, they only last as long as your baby fits into the plastic pants. So... Pampers for me. Or for my baby.

The thing is, a diapers hangs around the earth for hundreds of years. And keeping this in mind as I emptied the diaper bin every two days, I realized just how much trash - stinky trash - I was leaving (or my baby was leaving) on this earth.

But I didn't stop there. No, I had a second child. And a third.

And I started thinking more and more about all of the disposable items that are out there, and how much trash, how much pollution, I am personally responsible for.

No one can just "Go Green" overnight.... ok, maybe some people can. But not me. No. I need to do everything is small steps, one thing at a time, so that there is no culture shock but instead a smooth transition. This blog is about the small steps that I am taking - and that ANYONE can take - to reduce the harm I am doing to this planet, our home. I also have lots of questions, and I am open and welcome to advice or hints. Please don't hesitate to comment, correct, or encourage.

Thanks so much! Now wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking about the nappies/diapers thing now. I know that people say to start off with disposables, whatever - that for the first 6 weeks or so it's all about survival! But after that I'm not really sure. I would love to go down the cloth route, but I don't know how practical that is. Taking into account things like laundry costs and space (for storing dirty nappies etc), and drying them - our house felt like it can be pretty damp in winter, and adding a bunch more wet laundry to that may not be a good idea....

    ReplyDelete