Thursday, November 19, 2009

Right To Hang

I read an article today about the issue of hanging clothing out to dry. I was going to post a like, but I can't seem to find it, so please stick with me.

The article was talking about people who live in this country, the US, who are being sued because they hang their laundry out to dry.

Seriously.

Now, I know that clothing hanging from lines is not the most beautiful sight in the world. No one needs to see your underwear flapping in the breeze. But I hardly feel it can be compared to couches on porches or rusty cars on the lawn.

This is not uncommon, apparently. There are quite a few states, including (I think) New Jersey, my home state, with laws against hanging clothes out.

I just don't understand people. Do they not understand the benefits of hanging the clothes out to dry, the savings in cost and energy? Or do they understand them but feel that any benefit is outweighed by how ugly it is?

I happen to think clothes hanging on lines can be quite poetic, and think these people should get lives that include something other than telling other people what they can or can't do.

1 comment:

  1. I love the sight of clothes hanging on a line! I have so many photos of clothes out hanging from lines, windows, balconies, etc in Europe! And I love the smell of clothes that have been hung out -- so fresh!!

    ReplyDelete